The Luckenbach House, 1888
Originally a single family home built for businessman, James S. Luckenbach, it was donated to the Hebrew Benevolent Society in 1902 by entrepreneur and philanthropist Kaspare Cohn. The building became the first Jewish hospital in L.A. with the first female doctor and superintendent. The hospital was subsequently moved in 1910 to Boyle Heights where the Jewish population had increased. To serve a broader set of patients, several philanthropists founded Cedars of Lebanon hospital which merged with Mt. Sinai to become what is now Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. Kaspare Cohn was responsible for founding dozens of organizations such as the California Club, Union Bank, Congregation B'nai B'rith, Home of Peace, City of Hope, Vista Del Mar, & the Southern California Gas Company. The building is depicted in a mural on the side of Canter's Delicatessen chronicling Jewish life and culture in Los Angeles.